Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Resident Evil 5 Thoughts

image 
Yesterday we were all treated to a demo of Resident Evil 5 on PSN.  I downloaded and played part of both scenarios of this highly anticipated demo late last night. 

My perceptions of this game have been tainted by the media billing this game as a Resident Evil 4.5.  Sadly I see where they are coming from.  The game feels exactly the same, only glossed up with prettier graphics.  I liked Resident Evil 4 as much as the next guy, but this is not what I was looking for in a next gen Resident Evil game.  I also believe that’s it’s time to update the controls.  They really seem to hold you back when fighting enemies like the chainsaw guy.  I found it too annoying and repetitive to have to shoot a couple of times, run past him, quick turn, shoot and repeat.  I would much rather just pop off my shots while strafing around him.  The creators claim they use “tank controls” to add to the tension, but I would have rather seen them build tension without gimped game controls.

I would have liked to see them return to the traditional Resident Evil story line, rather than continuing down the path of Resident Evil 4.  Doesn’t anyone else miss the Zombies?  To me, that’s what made the older games cool.  The monsters in RE4 and 5 don’t appeal to a zombie loving purist like me.  I feel like I am trying to force myself to love Resident Evil 5.  I feel as if Capcom is using the namesake for a bait and switch.  I am hoping that next time Capcom makes the Resident Evil game I really want.  So, maybe I’ll skip this one for now.  I guess the only way I’ll get my zombie fix is by waiting for Dead Rising 2.

No comments: